Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ships: Seaworthy vs. Seakindly

Seaworthiness is basically the ability of a boat to live in heavy weather without swamping, capsizing, breaking up or being heavily damaged while underway.

Seakindliness is the ability of a boat to meet heavy weather and remain reasonably dry, shipping no solid water and relatively little spray. It is also that quality of a boat or ship that permits comfort to the occupants in heavy weather.

This is according to Howard Chapelle, curator of maritime history at the Smithsonian Institute. And I'll admit that's news to me. So what is it, Brethren; is your ship seaworthy, seakindly or perhaps a bit of both?

Header: A Ship and Dolphins via TMQ at ESPN Page 2

4 comments:

Timmy! said...

I would hope for both, being as prone to seasickness as I am, Pauline...

I love that painting and huzzah! TMQ is my favorite sports column (as you know).

Pauline said...

i would too, but I'll take seaworthiness if I have to choose!

Blue Lou Logan said...

I'd be willing to survive wet pants and soaked socks if it means I can get to the destination.

Pirates can't be picky, y'know.

Pauline said...

Absolutely. You take what you can find and use that ship to her best advantage, working the pumps or no.